Posted July 23rd, 2012
Parent Action for Healthy Kids is mourning the loss of the 12 people who were tragically killed at the midnight showing of âThe Dark Knight Risesâ in Aurora, Colorado. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those recovering from injuries and to everyone affected by this horrific event.
While authorities gather evidence and devastated families try to piece together details of this terrible day, there are simple things parents everywhere can do to support victims in Colorado and help their children to be in a more peaceful place:
1. Shut off the TV and radio, it serves no purpose to re-injure ourselves and our children over and over again with the details of the tragedy.
2. Explain to our children that our thoughts are powerful and the best thing we can do is breath in the suffering of all of those involved and then breath out our love and support.
3. Be happy and grateful for loved ones. This tragedy reminds us that the things we worry about pale in comparison to a tragedy of this magnitude.
4. Step back and let the authorities do their job. Do not jump to conclusions or create stories about the killer, the situation, or the victims.
5. Find out how the areaâs nonprofits are getting involved in relief efforts and lend a hand.